If you’ve ever lived in a house with a garage, you know all too well the sound that garage door openers make when it’s being opened or closed. While this sound is usually nothing more than an annoyance, it can be quite loud and disruptive, especially if you’re trying to sleep or work in the house. Check out these six tips if you’re looking for ways to quiet your garage doors.
Lubricate The Moving Parts Of Your Garage Doors
A garage door openers are large metallic doors that require one to open by themselves or by an electric motor. They are usually located at the front of a house or building and protect vehicles from theft, weather damage, and vandalism. Garage doors can also be used to store tools, equipment, and other items that must be protected from the elements.
One way to keep your garage door in good working condition is to lubricate the moving parts, steel rollers, or metal rollers. This will help prevent rust and wearing of door hinges and keep the door slamming operating smoothly.
Also read: How To Stop Refrigerator From Buzzing
Here Are Six Ways To Lubricate Your Garage Door Openers:
- Use a silicone-based lubricant on the tracks.
- Lubricate the rollers or moving parts with a petroleum-based lubricant.
- Apply waterproof grease to the hinges.
- Lubricate the opener chain drive opener with WD-40 or another light oil.
- Use a silicone-based lubricant on weather-stripping.
- Apply a graphite powder to torsion springs and extension springs.
- Add insulation to the inside of your garage door quieter garage door openers
- Add extra weather stripping. You can purchase this at most hardware stores.
- Install a door sweep on the bottom of the door. This will help to seal any gaps and prevent drafts.
- Apply foam insulation to the back of the door panels. This will help to absorb sound and keep the garage cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
- Hang a heavy curtain over the doorway. This will help in scraping noisy garage metal doors away from the deafening sound and keep out light.
- Install acoustical tiles on the ceiling. This will help to absorb sound and reduce echoes.
- Add a rug or mat to the floor of the garage. This will help to reduce noise and prevent slipping. By following these simple steps, you can quickly and easily improve the insulation of your garage metal door, making it much quieter and more energy-efficient.
Replace The Weather Tripping Around Your Garage Door
Weatherstripping is an easy and inexpensive way to quiet a garage door. The strips fit snugly against the door and provide a barrier against drafts and pests. Several types of weather stripping are available, so be sure to choose one that is compatible with your garage door. Start by removing the old weather stripping from around the door. If possible, take measurements of the door so you know how much new weather stripping you will need.
Next, clean the surface of the door to ensure that the new strips will adhere properly. Then, apply the new weather stripping and trim it to fit. Finally, use nails or screws to secure the strips in place. By following these simple steps, you can significantly reduce the number of noisy garage doors produced.
Also read: How To Open A Can Quietly
Hang A Heavy Blanket Or Curtain Over Your Garage Door
There are a few different ways you can help quiet your garage door. One is to hang a heavy blanket or curtain over the door. This will help muffle the noise of the door opening and closing. Another option is to add weather-stripping around the door to help seal it and prevent noise from escaping.
You can also try lubricating the door tracks and springs to help reduce the amount of noise they make when the door is in use. Finally, ensure that the opener is properly balanced and adjusted according to the manufacturer’s instructions. By taking these simple steps, you can help reduce the amount of noise your new garage door makes and make it more bearable to use.
Install a sound-dampening kit on your garage door
A sound-dampening kit can help quiet a garage door by absorbing some noise as the door moves. There are a few different types of kits available, and each one works a little differently. Some kits attach to the door itself, while others attach to the frame or track. Some kits need to be installed by a professional, while the homeowner can install others.
A sound-dampening kit can typically reduce the noise of a garage door by about 50 percent. In addition to reducing noise, a sound-dampening kit can also help to improve the door’s energy efficiency by preventing heat from escaping through the gaps around the quieter garage door opener.
How Can I Make My Garage Door Opener Quieter?
Also read: How To Chew Quietly: 5 Tips
There are a few ways to make your garage door openers quieter. One is to add a sound-dampening kit to the opener. This will help to absorb some of the noise as the door moves. Another option is to lubricate the door tracks and springs. This will help reduce the amount of noise they make when the door is in use. Finally, ensure that the opener is properly balanced and adjusted according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Seal Up Any Holes or Cracks in Your Garage Wall or Ceiling
By blocking the holes and cracks where the noise is coming in, you can reduce the overall level of noise in your garage. You can also use floor mats or rugs to absorb some sounds. Another way to reduce noise is to add insulation to the walls and ceiling. This will help to deaden the sound and make it less echoed.
Another option is to use soundproofing panels on the walls and ceiling. These can be found at most home improvement stores. You can also use acoustic tiles on the ceiling to help absorb sound. Finally, you can install a garage door opener with a built-in vibration dampening system. This will help to reduce the noise of the door opening and closing.
Noisy Garage doors can be annoying, especially if you’re trying to get some sleep. While there is no one perfect solution for eliminating the sound of a garage door, these six tips should help you quiet it down. Have any other tips to share? Let us know in the comments!